Tuesday, January 24, 2012

French Onion Soup

Last week, I got a little gutsy in the kitchen and attempted to make French onion soup. I have searched for an easy recipe for quite a long time, but couldn't find one that didn't require HOURS of caramelizing onions in the oven. I found some "easy" recipes, but the reviews were always poor. So I decided to make up my own recipe! I was quite amazed with how well it turned out and it was SUPER EASY! 

After making the soup, I had a burst of confidence and tried making my own French bread. I don't have a bread maker and I have always failed miserably whenever I've tried before. But again, I was amazed with how well my French bread turned out too!



My French Onion Soup

Ingredients 
3 large yellow onions, sliced (3 cups)
5 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 ½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaf
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
2 cans (10 1/2 ounces each) beef consommé
4 cups water
4 beef bouillon cubes

Crouton top:
Slices of French bread
Melted butter
Garlic Powder
Mozzarella or provolone cheese slices

Directions
1.     Sauté onions and butter in saucepan until soft and caramelized.
2.     Place onions in slow cooker on high.
3.     Mix flour, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, sugar and pepper.
4.     Stir flour mixture, consommé, water and bouillon cubes into onions. 
5.     Add bay leaf to slow cooker. 
6.     Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until onions are very tender.
7.     Remove bay leaf before serving. 
8.     Top the slices of French bread with melted butter, garlic powder and cheese. Bake in oven at 375 for 10 minutes and then place in broiler for 3 minutes to brown the cheese. 
9.     Top each bowl of soup with a crouton and ENJOY!

French Bread
(from allrecipes.com)

Ingredients
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
Cornmeal
1 egg white
1 teaspoon cold water

Directions
1.     In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, oil, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
2.     Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; return to bowl. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
3.     Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a loaf 16 in. long x 2-1/2 in. wide with tapered ends. Sprinkle a greased baking sheet with cornmeal; place loaf on baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
4.     Beat egg white and cold water; brush over dough. With a sharp knife, make diagonal slashes 2 in. apart across top of loaf. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome work, Marybeth! I am impressed. I've tried F. Onion soup many times. Some have tasted okay, but I can never get the texture of the onions right. I always aim to match the Panera version, but have failed to do so until now. Maybe I'll try your crock pot method and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete